Capture your River!
Submit images to the SuAsCo photo contest and celebrate 50 years of Wild and Scenic River protection
2018 Photo Contest Rules and Guidelines
As part of a year-long celebration of the Wild and Scenic Rivers Act’s 50th anniversary, the Sudbury, Assabet, and Concord Rivers, River Stewardship Council (SuAsCo RSC) is holding a photo contest. Make your splash by following the RSC on Facebook, and use the hashtag #mysuasco to share your photos. Plan on joining in on the fun during Riverfest events on June 17 and 18, along with a celebration planned for October 14 at Minute Man National Historic Park with an anniversary paddle, family riverside activities, and special guests.
The Wild and Scenic Rivers Act of 1968 led to the official designation of 29 miles of the Sudbury, Assabet and Concord (SuAsCo) Rivers as Wild & Scenic in 1999, based on their nationally significant scenic, recreational, ecological, and literary values. The 29 miles flow through all or parts of the City of Framingham and Towns of Wayland, Sudbury, Lincoln, Concord, Carlisle, Bedford, and Billerica. These rivers offer a wilderness experience just 20 miles and less than one hour from Boston. Ten of the river miles along the Sudbury and Concord rivers lie within the boundaries of Great Meadows National Wildlife Refuge, established to protect the outstanding waterfowl habitat associated with the extensive riparian wetlands.
- To participate in the contest, upload photos to Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter using the #mysuasco hashtag, and follow and tag one of these three accounts: Facebook: @SuascoRSCRiverfest, Instagram: @Mass_DEP, Twitter: @MassDEP
- Photographs must be entered between March 15, 2018 and September 15, 2018, but photos taken between March 1, 2017 and September 15, 2018 are eligible.
- All photos must depict the wild and scenic resources of the SUDBURY, ASSABET, and CONCORD Rivers.
- Submissions will be placed into one of the following five categories the RSC:
- Recreation – Share the photos of your adventures while biking, hiking, fishing or boating on land and water along the river.
- Historical and Cultural – Share your photographs of historical locations or structures as well as the photos of the cultural heritage or cultural celebration.
- Scenery – Capture scenic vistas and inspire us with the incredible image of the river.
- Literature – How do you celebrate Thoreau, Emerson and the other writers who were moved by life along the rivers?
- Ecology – There are some amazing rare wildlife and plant species along the river, so identify and share those photos.
- The winning photograph in each category and an overall will be announced SuAsCo RSC. Winners will be honored at the Wild and Scenic Rivers 50th Anniversary Celebration on October 14, 2018 at Minute Man National Historical Park in Concord and will receive special 50th anniversary prizes. Winning photos will be featured on the SuAsCo RSC website.
- Employees of the state and federal agencies represented on the SuAsCo RSC are not eligible to win contest prizes, although they are encouraged to share their photos.
- Winning selections will be determined by the following: 30% of the decision will be determined by the number of likes an individual submission receives on social media, and 70% of the decision will be determined by judging criteria outlined by RSC staff.
- Photographers retain the copyright to their photographs. The SuAsCo RSC and its members retain the rights to reproduce the winning photographs in publications, promotions, and on their websites.
- Do not alter photos except for minimal cropping, red eye removal, and or adjustment of contrast, brightness, or saturation.
- Do not break any laws or rule to obtain images.
- Do not do anything unsafe, or that may harm the natural environment, to obtain images.
- Indecent, inappropriate, and obscene photos will not be accepted.
- For photos showing people, entrants should have permission from the subject or the subject’s parent or guardian if the subject is under 18 years of age, and be able to provide written documentation upon request.